Spring is the perfect time to fine-tune your focus on living a wellness lifestyle. No matter what your passion: working out, spring cleaning or managing seasonal allergies, Chiro One shares tips you can use to make this your healthiest season yet!
NATURAL ALLERGY ADVERSARIES. Looking for natural ways to fend off seasonal allergy symptoms? Sometimes the solutions are simple!
- Keep allergens out! Keep windows closed or certain rooms pet-free to limit your exposure. Regular dusting and vacuuming helps, too.
- Cold and caffeine for puffy eyes. Caffeine-based creams or cold compresses can be especially soothing for irritated eyes.
- Get buzzy! Some studies show pure, raw, local honey may help build natural antibodies to pollen.
- Try a neti pot. This ancient Indian tradition provides a natural method of nasal cleansing.
- Track pollen counts. Watch the news, listen to the radio or visit local weather websites to check pollen levels before you head out.
FOODS THAT PACK A FIGHT! Did you know you can eat your way to allergy relief? Many common foods have anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties that soothe allergy symptoms. Fight your flare-up with these everyday foods:
- Apples (contain flavonoids that fend off inflammation)
- Red grapes (boast antioxidants and resveratrol; both fight inflammation)
- Citrus fruits (their dose of vitamin C does wonders for cold and allergy symptoms)
- Collard greens (rich in carotenoids which reduce allergic reactions)
- Fish and nuts (both have properties that boost immunity and fight inflammation)
OUTDOOR ERGONOMICS. Yard work and gardening require stretching and hydration just like traditional workouts do. They also involve the use of heavy mechanical equipment. Next time you work in the yard, be sure to follow these tips:
- If using mechanical equipment, use a strap secured across your body to normalize your center of gravity.
- Alternate using equipment on each side of your body.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Use proper lifting techniques.
- Hold heavy equipment close to your body.
SPRING CLEANING. Feeling the need to open the windows and clean the closets? Make sure to clean out your cleaning supplies, too. Check ingredient lists on websites of everyday products and rid your home of those that contain these common toxins:
- Sodium hypochlorite: extremely corrosive, can produce a toxic gas when combined with other products
- Butyl cellosolve: linked to reproductive issues, birth defects, liver and kidney damage
- Nitrobenzene: deadly if swallowed, inhaling can lead to shallow breathing
- Thirourea: American Cancer Society “known carcinogen”